Wednesday, June 8, 2011

One Month

Nathan, you are one month old today!
It's hard to believe how quickly the time has passed and how much you've already changed and grown since we first met you in the hospital. You've captured your dad's and my heart and we just can't get over how adorable you are! We feel so lucky to be your parents and for all that you've already taught us.
While our first month has been a challenge with it's share of ups and downs, I fall more and more in love with you each day. We are still getting to know your personality but you have proven to have a quick temper and powerful lungs, making it clear when you are not happy with a situation. It breaks my heart to hear you cry, especially when it seems nothing I can do will comfort you. I'm still learning what each cry means, but nine times out of ten it's because you want to eat or suck on your pacifier. It's just such a comfort to you!
However, all the crying and fussing is quickly erased by your sweet, cuddly snuggles and I love when you fall asleep nuzzled on my chest. When you are calm, you have such inquisitive expressions and seem to be studying everything around you with wide eyes and pursed lips. I know you are going to be a smart boy like your dad!
You do really well in the car and we've begun venturing out each day for little errands just for a change of pace. You usually pass out as soon as your carseat clicks into the base, which makes for a good nap each time!
You are eating well and still have a voracious appetite, sometimes nursing for a good 40-50 minutes at a time. I think you're going through a growth spurt, too, because you have been completely unsatisfied today and eating more often than your typical 3-4 hour stretches.
You've been sleeping better at night, for which I am very thankful! After many nights rocking in the recliner, you seem to be doing better in your basinet and we've learned that the white noise of your sleep giraffe helps immensely! Your naps during the day haven't been as productive, but I'll take what I can get right now. As far as playtime goes, you're not awake for too long in any stretch to really do much right now but I try to make the most and we've enjoyed your playmat and just talking with each other.
We attempted a one-month photo shoot today but you were not in the most cooperative of moods...(perhaps because of the wardrobe malfunction, exposing your diaper?!)

And most of our shots ended up looking more like this...



Poor baby! We'll have to try again tomorrow because we can't commermorate one month with such a sad face!


I love you so much little monkey, and I look forward to soaking up each and every month of milestones with you!


xoxo


One Month Stats:


Weight - approx. 8 lbs, 9 oz (according to our home scale)


Diapers - newborn, but we're about to graduate to size 1


Clothes - newborn, but we're about to start trying some 0-3 month because you're getting too long for your footie pajamas

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I love that one of him crying! I have that exact picture of Carter on our first day of play group ;) Fists balled up, screaming at the top of his lungs, it's adorable to look back at I promise!!!

Sjn said...

reading this makes me miss you all so much, my heart aches! I'm really looking forward to being there this weekend to see you. Big warm hugs for you because I am sooo proud of how great a Mom you are, and snuggle hugs for Nathan, because he is so small and sweet and still a little peanut.
Love you! xoxo