Sunday, January 18, 2009

A busy week's recap

A lot happened last week! We started off on Monday with a yummy sushi birthday dinner for Ryan's brother, Bradley. I used to eat sushi probably once a week, but we haven't had it as frequently lately so I always welcome it as a meal.
On Tuesday night, I placed a call to a rescue for puppies we had found on petfinder.com. We've been talking about adopting a pup for some time now, and had wanted to wait until after the holidays to start looking. I found some "lab/beagle" mix pups that were about 11 weeks old and simply precious, so I thought I'd call to find out more. The catch was they were being kept at a foster home up in Ocala, which is about an hour and a half from our house. I ended up getting in touch with the right people on Wednesday and while Ryan was driving back from a day trip to Ft. Meyers (about 3 hours away) we decided to try to see them that night. Poor hubby - what a day of driving for him!
We met the foster "mom" at a Walgreens, thinking she would lead us back to her house because it was too hard to find in the dark. Oh, no. She brought them with her in the back of her car and we met them in the parking lot! It was pretty tough to get to know them, but we tried our best and switched back and forth between two little boys. The first, Harvin, was mostly black with a white stripe down his face and a very full belly. He was sweet and just wanted to cuddle up in our laps. The other, Meyer, was one of the runts and had a lot of spunk! He was white with a big black patch over his eye and some spots on his head. They both melted your heart, but we decided we liked Meyer better.
We knew we wanted to sleep on it so we drove home and debated it the whole drive back. We were both unsure of the breed, since they didn't really look like labs or beagles and the woman admitted they weren't sure what the dad was (the mom was a beagle mix). It scared us not knowing because as cute as he is now, who knows what he could be when he grows up. I emailed the photos to two vets and one wrote back Thursday night that he thought Meyer was a Jack Russel/Rat terrier mix. The other vet wrote back Saturday thinking at first Pitt bull/boxer but then based on his size and approx. age maybe a terrier mix. That sealed the deal for Ryan - no way. He is set on a lab (no way for me - but a mix would be okay) and we were so unsure about how he would grow up, so we decided to wait.
So, for now, we are still on the hunt for a cute little pup to welcome home.
To round out the week, we had a lovely date night on Friday with a delicious dinner and Cold Stone for dessert. Trying to be economical, we opted for one of the take-home quarts (?-not sure of the exact size) because it was a much better deal than two separate sundaes. The best part is that the kid made way too much, so he gave us the extra anyway! Then we went home and watched Get Smart with our ice cream, which I thought was pretty funny. (And no, we didn't eat it all.)
Last night, we celebrated a friend's birthday with another dinner out. Unfortunately, what started as a great evening turned pretty sour with horrible service, cold food, and a very late check. I hate to say we are probably never going to that restaurant again.
Today, we finally set up the Wii Fit I bought Ryan over the summer. I was a little skeptical at first watching Ryan try it and thinking it couldn't possible be an actual workout. Boy, was I wrong! I did different activities for a total of 30 minutes and by the end my legs were shaky and I was sweating! I think I might have to make this part of my New Year's exercise plan (which hasn't totally kicked off yet...oops!).

No comments: