Sunday, January 11, 2009

A Yard's Work is Never Done

I. Am. Sore. After avoiding yard work for the past few months, we finally went out yesterday and did some major clean-up. I cleared out the entire side yard, which had succumbed to "the vine" over the summer and left all the bushes dead in its path. (not our yard, but a good example of how it once looked). Now it's just sandy dirt and a few stumps until the weather turns a bit nicer to replant. We cut back the crate myrtles, too, though I am not sure if it was time yet...I guess we'll know if they grow back in the spring!

I always feel so ambitious when we start and really thought I could do the entire front and back (weeding, trimming, etc.) but only got the side done yesterday. Then, waking up this morning and thinking I couldn't move, I forced myself to go out again and tackled the beds around our front walk. Ryan spent the day inside working, so I was on my own to weed and rake up years worth of old mulch and leaves. Once that was all cleared, everything got a good spraying of Round-up. It took a good 4 hours or so, but I finally finished the front.

Now we just need to re-mulch and potentially re-plant a few things to spruce it up. Oh, yeah...and tackle the backyard. Yikes! I just hope I can get out of bed tomorrow for work.

2 comments:

Sjn said...

It's great exercise and look at all you accomplished! Way to go girl! At least you're able to be outside and do yard work, anywhere north of Florida, we're freezing!

Grad Girl said...

I think mom and I should come down and visit when you are re-planting in the spring. I love to garden. Plus, I've never seen your new house.