Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Backing up - Our Trip to Vero

Before Ladies Cooking Night, Ryan and I headed down to Vero Beach to visit his aunt and uncle (and spend weekend two of four in the sun). While the guys woke up bright and early to go fishing, Aunt Barb and I got sucked into the television and spent the morning watching the funeral service for Ted Kennedy. Wow, what an amazing family - regardless of party affiliation/preference, there's no denying that it's a huge crew that is incredibly involved!
We finally pulled ourselves away and headed to the beach club for a light lunch and some sunbathing. Unfortunately, Mother Nature had other plans and while we waited for our meals, it started pouring! It let up long enough for us to run inside and eat in the dining room. We thought it had cleared so we headed down to the beach and no more than 15 minutes after I had lathered all up in sunscreen did we get asked to come inside because there was nasty lightning in the vicinity. You didn't have to ask us twice! We admitted defeat and headed right home. (I am getting increasingly freaked out by lightning living in Central Florida.)
The boys came home empty handed so we ended up taking everyone out to dinner at Captain Hiram's, including Ryan's grandmother. It was a nice low-key meal with good conversation and great company.
We wrapped up the weekend with a friendly golf game on the Harbor Course, which totally kicked my butt. I hadn't played in over a year and Ryan really needed to talk me into it, but I ended up enjoying myself and had a great time.
It's always such a treat for us to visit Vero Beach and we left already planning the next time we'll head over. Thanks to Aunt Barb and Uncle Phil for a great weekend!