Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Christmas in Atlanta

We spent four days last week in Atlanta for Christmas. I love spending holidays with my family and all the traditions we share, but none are more special than the ones we have at Christmas!
The trip started with a puppy-play-date at my friend Stefanie's house, where Jax got to meet her white lab, Grissom. The two got along really well and looked so cute together! While the pups played, the girls baked cookies and the guys taste-tested. That evening we all braved the chilly temps and went to watch my brother-in-law Lincoln play tennis in the final round of a K Swiss tournament. Thankfully, after an almost 3 hour (!) match, he won! It made sitting in the cold, all bundled up, worth it and it was fun to see him play so competitively.On Christmas Eve, we always go to Mt. Pisgah United Methodist Church for their service and then head home for a yummy dinner of shrimp and pesto pasta. Despite the sprinkling rain, we made it there and back safely and settled in for a nice night of great food, wonderful company, and a few sibling gifts - a tradition in our house, to trade gifts amongst the "kids" before Christmas morning.Kelly and Lincoln were the head chefs this year, making a scrumptous (and a little garlicky) meal for us!Christmas day, we woke up at Kelly and Lincoln's house but decided to keep with tradition and (after showering) headed over to my parents' house in our pajamas. While breakfast cooked, Jax got to open her stocking - at one point she even had her head stuffed in there to see what presents "Santa" had brought.Ever since we were little we have posed on the stairs before rushing the tree to see what Santa left for us - this year was no exception, complete with all the pups.We switched things up this year and actually ate our brunch before tackling any gifts - a delicious tradition of egg souffle, blueberry muffins and mimosas. Yum!
Then, on to the presents! Alex and I both got new racquets, which I have already put to good use. I am so excited to start really playing!It took a few hours to get through everything...we all take turns, each opening one at a time. It was a great morning - so relaxing and such a fun time spent with family.Jax brought gifts for all the pups, and Westin wasted no time tearing into his. He opened it all by himself!I love my husband so much, and had such a wonderful holiday spending time with him!It felt like another quick trip, and such a whirlwind with all that activity, but so well-worth it to get to spend time with my family. By the last morning, the pups were exhausted and Jax and Westin enjoyed a nap on the couch while we packed up to head home.

I can't believe Christmas has come and gone already, with all that preparation and anticipation for this big day so fleeting. But I wouldn't trade all that time because it's one of my favorite holidays and such a joy to spend with the ones I love. I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas with the ones that mean the most to you!

6 comments:

Stefanie said...

I love the photo of everyone on the stairs and with you and Ryan. You guys look so happy!! Hard to believe the time went by so quickly!

Mormon Bachelor Pad said...

Our Christmas are almost identical... except I didn't shower before I went over to open presents Christmas morning.

-j

Anonymous said...

Hi Kristin! I found your blog through Kelly's blog...I "met" her through Baby Center as we are both due in March! Small world :)Just wanted to say hi and I hope that you are doing well! And I love all your creative projects...you are talented!

Sjn said...

when I announced "whoever doesn't cook has to clean up", it sure inspired Kelly!
The good thing is that she learned how to make our traditional shrimp dish and it was delicious!

Sjn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sjn said...

ooops, so sorry, didn't proofread my last comment.
I said " it was so nice to have you all home for Christmas!"
Let's do it every year ;-)