Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Shocking News

Right before we left for Vero, just days after my family had visited, I got a call that my mom was in the hospital. She had gone in to have something checked out and was admitted after they found another cancerous mass, this time near her colon.

Another one?!?!

She had just gotten a clean scan in April and was doing so well. I had just seen her in Orlando and she seemed fine. How could this be happening again???

I was a nervous wreck the whole weekend we were away, waiting to hear news of what was going on and how she was fairing. By the time we got home, we knew the course of action was emergency surgery.

I wanted desperately to be there, to hold her hand, give her (and my dad) a hug, and provide whatever morale support I could. This is the fourth time in as many years that she's been through this and I've only been able to make it for the very first surgery. It broke my heart each time to be so far away and feel so helpless and this time was no different. Blame it on the hormones, but each time I even thought about my family gathered in the hospital I started crying.

Ryan and I decided the best thing to do was to wait for her to be in recovery before making the trip. Nathan still hadn't had his shots and it was took risky to bring him to the hospital.

We packed up the car and took another roadtrip, just in time for my mom to be released from the hospital and sent home to recover. Nathan and I got to spend 10 days up there, keeping Mom and Dad company and trying to provide distraction. Ryan drove back and forth in order to work during the week. Poor guy!

We may have been there to help my mom recover but I think it was actually more therapeutic for me to be able to spend downtime with my family and have extra hands to help with Nathan. Each time I'm "home" it replenishes a hole in my heart that empties the longer I am away.

You'd never know it from the photo below, but this was just days post-surgery for Mom. Her strength and determination each time she's been through this blows my mind. She is the rock of our family and has proven time and time again that cancer can't get her down. I pray this is the last time we'll ever have to go through this and she will have clean scans from here on out.

I love you so much, Mom, and am in awe at your perseverance! You are amazing!! xoxo

1 comment:

Sjn said...

this post had me in tears. I'm so glad that you were here this time, especially now with the baby too. You were both great company for me and an inspiration to heal quickly.
I love you! xoxo