Thursday, July 28, 2011

GW2K11

For the sixth year in a row, my besties from college and I met up for our annual Girls' Weekend. Like last year, this time we went to New Smyrna Beach, which was super convenient for me. Nathan tagged along and was the first boy to crash our trip! Allison, unfortunately, couldn't make it this year but we took advantage of technology and Skyped with her each night.

We ate our meals in to keep things casual. Nikki prepared a delicious cold shrimp pasta for the first night. Stefanie did a whole low country boil the second night (which I did not get to partake in because it coincided directly with bedtime for the bubs - bummer!). Meg whipped up a yummy lasagna for the last night.

It was a bit of a challenge to get suited up and bring the baby all the way down to the beach. We attempted it each day but didn't get to stay out for very long. It was disgustingly hot and the poor thing didn't want to nurse down there so I had to schlep back and forth to the condo to feed him.

Despite the work, his insane cuteness in his beach garb made up for it!

We missed Allison not only for her beautiful smile and delightful company, but also for her photo-documenting skills. I don't have a lot of shots from the weekend!

To be honest, I had a bit of a pity party for myself the first day because it was so tough to have Nathan there and be off schedule and deal with the complications of heat and sand and sunscreen. I selfishly wished I could have left him home so I could have fully enjoyed my girls' company, the adult beverages and get a good tan. Such ridiculous things!

But that is why I love my besties so much - they helped me talk through my troubles and gave me so much comfort and support. Not to mention a nice break with the extra helping hands! I cannot begin to put into words how much these girls mean to me and how thankful I am to have them in my life. And, ultimately, I am glad I braved a weekend at the beach with Nathan on my own because each experience only helps me gain more confidence as a new mom.

I look forward to many more GW to come (but maybe sans baby next time)!

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Next year you can leave him with his Auntie Kel!