Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Twelve Months

Nathan, you are twelve months old - one whole year!

Oh, what personality you have developed! You are so sweet and your sly little smiles melt my heart and make my day. You are also a complete cuckoo bird and can be so silly - screeching, shaking your arms and falling over (on purpose) as you zoom circles around the house. I hope you can always laugh at yourself and not take life too seriously. You're so good at it right now!

 You are SO busy! I am exhausted at the end of each day from chasing you around and keeping up with you. You crawl and cruise everywhere and I'm beginning to wonder if I need to invest in a crash helmet for all the bumps and bruises you obtain on that poor little noggin. I've been closing the door to your room while we play just to keep you contained and you motor from toy to toy, entertaining yourself the whole time.

You've learned some "tricks" this month that crack me up. You shake your booty and dance when you hear music. You clap sporadically and when others do it. You can show us you are "so big." It's all adorable!

You started swim lessons this month and despite loving the water, you HATE it. Each time I hand you over to Ms. Glenda you immediately begin wailing and continue for the entire lesson each day. I hate it for you but I'm hoping it teaches you good safety skills for the pool this summer. You're a trooper and still end each lesson with a smile (after drying off and getting a bottle, of course).

Your hair has lightened up a lot and gets blonder each day. Perhaps it's the sunshine and chlorine? Your daddy keeps threatening to cut it, too, but I won't let him even if it is a little long around the ears. You've had a blue vein across the bridge of your nose since the day you were born and I wondered if it would slowly fade as you grew but it seems to be your birthmark for now. Two new teeth popped up this month and you have a grand total of eight now (four up top, four below).

We had a rough patch of getting you to sleep but it must have been the new teeth because you're back on track now. You typically go to bed around 8 pm and sleep 11-12 hours through the night. You also take two naps each day, around 10 am and 2 pm. I still tend to rock you to sleep during the day because if I don't you don't realize you are tired and cry when you're put down. You're much better at night falling asleep on your own.

Food continues to be easy for us and you gobble everything up that you're given. You don't really care that much for watermelon or strawberries but will still eat them if offered. You had your first taste of sugar (that's probably not true) with a birthday cupcake and you devoured the entire thing before I could get my hands on it. We're in trouble! On top of three very full meals a day you still take four bottles. I'm wondering how we will wean you once we get the go-ahead for milk!

Your favorite things right now are bubbles, balloons, balls and books. It's so funny to watch you sit and turn the pages, reading to yourself. You love to grab our sunglasses or Daddy's hats and try them on yourself. You're pretty good at doing it on your own! Above all, though, you love Jax and crack up at your buddy all day long. You love to give her cookies and crawl all over her. Good thing she is so patient with you!

This first year flew by so fast I can hardly believe it. I knew before you were born that I would love you and I knew once we met that I loved you more than I originally could have thought but now I love you more each day than I ever thought possible. You may wear me out and present me with new challenges each day, but I wouldn't have it any other way. It is a privilege to be your mama and I am so thankful God gave you to me. Happy birthday, my bubaloo! I love you so much!

xoxo

12 Month Stats:

Weight - 23.2 pounds

Diapers - size 4

Clothes - mostly 18m, size 4 shoe

1 comment:

Sjn said...

Your Hattie loves you too Nathan! I miss that we're not there with you everyday. But we get to see you in 2 days, hooray, for some family fun!