Wednesday, November 4, 2009

NYC/CT Trip, Part Two

Okay, where did I leave us? Ah, heading to the wedding in Connecticut. My cousin, Tricia, got married (again) to Greg on Halloween so the whole family (both my mom and dad's sides) headed up to the Coast Guard Academy for the big event. (yes, technically they were already married from eloping almost two years ago...long story, but they never had a celebration for it, so this was the real traditional wedding for them.)
I was asked to read during the ceremony, and while completely honored, made myself sick with nerves over having to get up and speak in front of a chapel full of people. Luckily, my immediate family was very encouraging and it wasn't a huge guest list, so I quickly walked up, read my scripture (barely looking up...awful, i know) and quickly sat back down.
While we waited for the ceremony to begin, we took advantage of the great photo opp in the chapel. The beautiful bride and her dad, my Uncle Lee, walking down the aisle.
Saying their vows. All the groomsmen were in the Coast Guard, as well, and it looked so cool to have all the men in their dress whites.
Leaving the chapel as man and wife, with a traditional exit through an archway of swords. The best man even welcomed Tricia into the Coast Guard family with a light little pat on the bum with his sword. Her face was too funny!
The reception was held in the Officer's Club, just down the hill and around the pond from the chapel. The main room was nicely decorated with traditional wedding garb and beautiful fall colors. The bar, however, paid tribute to Halloween and was decorated with all sorts of spiders, bats, a trick-or-treat candy bar and fun little touches. It was an awesome way to give a nod to the day without going over the top with a theme.
I always love spending time with my family and took lots of photos...here with my mom and sisters.
My cousin Jess and I were the ladies in red.
A Nathan family portrait, perfect for the Christmas card! I love my family so much!
And, because she's now really starting to show, a photo with my expecting sister Kelly, all displaying our bellies. Only 4 (!!!) more months till we all get to meet Baby Hami!
We got seated at the cousin table, which was a great group!
A photo with my wonderful parents.Toward the end of the night, while everyone was out on the dance floor, a big treasure chest suddenly appeared filled with costumes, boas, wigs and all sorts of funny Halloween accessories. Everyone got into the fun and dressed up.
Maybe this should be the Christmas card photo instead?
My Uncle and Dad, being goofy and still looking like brothers even in costume.
At the end of the night, we all made it back to the hotel and continued the party in the lobby bar. We attempted to catch a shot of all the guys in the family hanging out, but they weren't very cooperative...It was a wonderful night, such a fun wedding, and a fantastic time reuniting with family (did I mention how much I love them?!). Ryan remarked as we were heading back to our room how much fun he had had and how great my family is...I have to agree!

1 comment:

Sjn said...

Great post!
Yes, I like the costume picture as well! So... maybe it will be the Christmas card this year!