Sunday, November 29, 2009

So Very Thankful

The last week has been a wonderful celebration of all things to be thankful for - my husband, family, friends, the blessings of shelter and food, and the time of year I love so much!
We spent Thanksgiving week in Atlanta, visiting my family. It all started back in the 2nd grade...where I read a book and helped my sister's class with their "Thankful Turkey" craft project.
Only some of the kids had time to finish, but they did a great job. It was really neat to see a whole other side to Kel and finally visit her classroom. Let's just say I won't be changing careers anytime soon, though.
That night, I got to see my favorite girls while we were all put to work at Stef's house. (No, seriously!) :-) We sewed and stuffed and tied all of the baby bedding for little Nora Grace, who is expected sometime mid-February, and I must say we did a great job. It was a fun night and I am always amazed at the talents of these ladies!

On Wednesday, after a short shopping trip, we took the pups over to meet our friends' dog and have some puppy play time. They have a new baby, Grace, who got to meet my sister's dog up close (and seemed really tickled by it).What an adorable face!
Unfortunately, the play time didn't wear our little pup out like we'd hoped, but she had fun with her cousins and new friend.Kel and I hosted a lasagna dinner at her house that night. It was a cozy evening and always a great time hanging out with my family.
After a great tennis workout on Thursday morning with Ryan as my mixed doubles partner, we spent the rest of Thanksgiving at my aunt and uncle's house. It was a bit chilly out, but we still had to brave the outdoors for some family photo opps.
All the girls, hanging out before dinner. Without even coordinating it, we all managed to wear some kind of cranberry-red-purple jewel tone (although, Cindy didn't get the memo).
My dad and Uncle Greg raced to carve the two (!) turkeys - one oven roasted and one fried. I have to admit, I didn't even bother with the oven version for my meal. Fried turkey wins, hands down!
Kel and I were in charge of sides and apps, so here is a peak at the items we brought. Alex was in charge of desserts and while I don't have photos of the beautiful pies she and my mom made, they were delicious and so pretty with leaves and acorns as adornments on the crust.And to end the recap, a self-portrait of the whole gang (minus a few heads that didn't lean in far enough - sorry Rob and Uncle Greg!).

As always, I cannot say enough how much I love my family and how thankful I am to have them in my life. I am also so thankful for my amazing husband, who understands how much it means to me to spend the holidays with them. It was a great Thanksgiving and now I am really looking forward to the Christmas season!

1 comment:

Sjn said...

It was a fun and delicious week. We loved having you home!