Sunday, May 15, 2011

It's Been One Week

It's hard to believe we've been home for a whole week and Nathan wasn't even scheduled to arrive until today! I am so thankful he decided to come early (and on his own time) so we could love on him that much sooner.
Already in one week I feel like Ryan and I have grown a lot and have gotten pretty comfortable at being parents. I fall in love with him more and more each day seeing him interact with Nathan and having him take care of us.
Here are some observations from the first week that I wanted to be sure to capture:



  • I am recovering a lot faster than I thought I would and seem to be getting around pretty well.

  • However, I still very much need my pain meds!

  • The first day back at home I had only lost 3 pounds and I was devastated. Since then, though, I've lost a lot of fluid retention and I'm down 18 pounds. Phew! (Still quite a ways to go but I'll take it!)

  • I am not sure how we're getting by with so little sleep but somehow it's working out. Ryan and I make a great team and I am so thankful for his help in the middle of the night.

  • I often have to force myself to put Nathan back down to sleep after a feeding in the middle of the night because I just love cuddling with him so much.

  • Nathan is a little Zoolander and his constant facial expressions crack me up.

  • I didn't think staying on top of blogging, Facebook, photo organization, etc. would be so difficult - how do these other new moms do it?! I feel very behind and a bit overwhelmed.

  • I knew I would love my baby but I had no idea how much my heart would grow and that I could actually miss him when we're in the same room.

  • I have no idea how many diapers we go through a day but it's comical at times when I've just put a fresh one on and Nathan decides he needs to "go" again. Seriously, I do laugh because what else can you do?

  • Nathan is like a little piranha when it comes time to feeding - he has a serious appetite and goes for it like he hasn't eaten in weeks! We're getting the hang of this whole breastfeeding business and so far it's been successful.

  • We have already established quite the list of nicknames for baby - Monkey, Chipmunk, Squishy, Mush Mush and all sorts of cutie, sweetie, angel pie types of monikers.

I have all sorts of other insightful, astute thoughts as I sit in bed nursing or rocking Nathan to sleep but of course as soon as I sit down to type they all escape me. I just know I love being a mom and I could not have asked for a more perfect baby. God truly blessed us and it blows my mind that Nathan came from Ryan and me - it makes me tear up with joy each time I praise Him for this gift!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm so glad feeding is going well!! YAY Nathan!

Grad Girl said...

I know it is probably not on the top of your to-do list, but I greatly appreciate all the blogging that you are doing! I love getting to see sweet baby Nathan and all the happenings in your life.