Thursday, May 26, 2011

Nathan and his Hattie

I was lucky to have my wonderful mom here for two weeks after Nathan was born. She arrived with my dad, sister, brother-in-law and nephew on Nathan's birth day, Mother's Day, and stayed after they all went home to take care of me and her new grandbaby while we recovered at home. To say she was a huge help would be the understatement of the year. From cooking and cleaning our house, to taking care of the munchkin in the early morning hours so I could take advantage of a few delicious hours of sleep, to changing diapers and burping Nathan in between feedings, she was truly a lifesaver as I slowly entered the world of motherhood myself.

When she left this week, I was awash with emotion and gratitude for her putting her own life aside for two whole weeks so she could be with us. It meant the world to me to have her wisdom and guidance in these early days and I would be lying if I said I wasn't terrified for when she left for all the unknown that was to come. I've managed these last couple of days learning the ropes of having a newborn and balancing hygiene with sleep and eating (that's about all we can get to each day right now!) but I definitely miss my mom's company and having her around.
Thank you, Hattie, for taking such good care of us and for sacrificing so much to be with us. We love you and can't wait for your next visit!

1 comment:

Sjn said...

I was so glad to be there with you for the first 2 weeks. You are an amazing new Momma! I can tell that you and Nathan will be just fine without me, but... that won't keep me away. I already have my next 2 visits lined up. I miss you all!