Tuesday, May 3, 2011

37 weeks - Full Term!

The past week has been a mix of emotions.
Grateful, for a seemingly healthy baby and a supportive husband that I know will be my rock as I prepare for a c-section.
Sad, that I won't get to experience contractions or labor because of Nathan's position.
Relieved, that I won't have to go through a 24-hour labor only to result in a c-section anyway.
Excited, to know when I will get to meet my son and the prospect of finally seeing what he looks like.
Humbled, that surely this is what God intended and His reasons are beyond my comprehension right now but I need to trust in Him.
Now that we know an exact date that Nathan will be coming, the planner in me (and Ryan) is content to have a countdown and know how many days are left for final preparation. It's been nice to plan out my family coming down knowing for sure they won't miss his arrival.
It's also put me into major nesting mode, both at home and mostly at work, trying to finalize every last detail before it's too late.
At the doctor this morning, there was a moment where we all thought Nathan had made the move and we were all anxious to pop into the sonogram room to confirm whether or not he was head-down. Nope. That tricky little guy was just fooling us and he remains breech so we remain on schedule for May 16.

How far along: 37 weeks - full term!

Size of baby: Swiss chard, more than 19 in. and about 6 1/3 lb.

Total weight gain/loss: still +29 lbs (I actually lost weight last week but it steadied back out again).

Maternity clothes: even some of my tops are now becoming too small for my growing bump and I have to be careful they cover the maternity band on my pants! With the news of my impending c-section, I need to buy a few summer dresses so I don't have waistbands hitting right on my incision. Another shopping trip!

Gender: a boy!

Movement: I haven't felt such strong kicks but he's definitely still wiggling as much as he can for the tight quarters. What fooled us at the doctor today was the location of his heartbeat - it seemed to be coming from the "right spot" for him to be head-down (according to my doctor) but I would think it would basically be in the same area either way because it's in the middle. But I'm not a doctor, so who knows.

Sleep: I've been getting up more each night and my hips can't stand being on one side for too long but I'm still generally sleeping well and so thankful.

What I miss: lots of things, but with the end in sight none of it really seems to matter because I'll get to meet my little one soon! (I'm also really excited for a glass of wine and some good sushi.)

Cravings: watermelon, which I've had a few times this week, and chocolate covered pretzels, which I have not (because we don't have any). I haven't been as hungry as Nathan continues to take up so much space in my belly and I've even taken to skipping my mid-morning snack at work most mornings because I don't need it.

Symptoms: same as last week (swelling, heartburn, sciatica, waddling, increased clumsiness) along with dizziness, crabiness, and Braxton Hicks.

Best moment this week: finding out that Nathan's Hattie (my mom) is cancer free for the first time in four years! We rejoiced with the news that her latest scan came back clear and there is nothing to watch as there has been for so many appointments. God is good and definitely answers prayers!

4 comments:

Sjn said...

I made it through "symptoms" excited with a smile on my face. Then I read the last part "best moment of the week"... it brought tears to my eyes. I'm so thankful and joyful that I can welcome Nathan into the world with out any care or worry for my own health.
I am so excited for this big event. I'm so happy for you and Ryan. Love you!

Kelly said...

Oh my goodness. I thought I was teary eyed when I read your "best moment" but full out crying now that I read mom's comment. God is so good and we definitely have so much to be thankful for. A healthy Hattie, a healthy baby, and a wonderful delivery that will bring him into your arms before you know it! We can't wait. Let the official countdown BEGIN!

The Nealons said...

I am so thrilled for you and Ryan. You are going to make the best parents and Nathan is already one lucky guy to have you as his mom. :)

The Nealons said...

YAY!!! He's here!! I can't wait to hear the story of his arrival. I hope you are doing well. There are lots of similarities in our little guys. :) Love him already!!