Thursday, July 1, 2010

Nathans in Newport - Part One

After months of counting down, anticipating, and looking forward to a much-needed vacation, our trip to Rhode Island was upon us! Ryan and I packed our bags (with way more than we needed) and hopped a flight to Atlanta, where we met up with both of my sisters, brother-in-law and nephew for the second leg of the trip.
Walking through the terminal in Atlanta, I can't express how excited I was to see them walk up and join us for the journey. I always love seeing members of my family and that little man just brightens my day - I love to see him smile and react to my voice!Ryan is really great with him, too, which makes me excited for when we have babies of our own one day. (I swear Carter was happy to see us, despite his expression.)
Carter wasn't to sure about the plane to start...
But he actually did really well and slept (or at least was quiet) for most of the trip. Before we knew it, we had landed in Providence and were ready to meet my dad and uncle for the ride to our house in Newport.
We stayed in an old Victorian "cottage" right on the main drag amidst rows of mansions, gardens and historic sites. There were almost 20 of us under one roof, so it was one big party house! While it was a bit of a shock to the system to be without a/c for a whole week (esp. while sleeping in the sauna of the 3rd floor that was our room), it was delightful to stay in a place with so much charm and character!The first full day in Newport was by far my favorite one of the whole trip. Ryan and I got up early (well, early for me) and joined my cousin Jess for a run/walk/hike all the way down our road to the famed Cliff Walk and back (an estimated 4 miles - so impressed with myself!). It was breathtaking to see the historic homes set amidst such a picturesque landscape of ocean, rocks and giant hydrangea.
We got back, ready for the day, and began our tour of how the other half lived back in the day. And, man, did they live it up! My sis, Kelly, did an awesome job documenting our tours through the mansions, so I won't repeat but here are some pics from the first day at Marble House...
I was really intrigued by the extravagance, elegance and etiquette from the time period. On the flip side, this is how Carter felt by the end of the tour:

And the day had just begun - that was all before lunch! More from the trip to come...

1 comment:

Sjn said...

That Wednesday was my favorite day of our 10 day trip too. But I won't spoil it, I'll let you tell what we did later on for lunch and after...