Tuesday, April 26, 2011

36 weeks

I had thoughts of what to post this week but they've all been consumed by the news we heard at the doctor this morning for my 36 week check-up:
Baby is still breech. With his feet way up by his head.
Yuck.
At my last appointment, the doctor I saw thought Nathan had turned and even had me feel his "butt" and "head" as she poked around. Either she was wrong or he's flipped again because he is pretty high up and still snuggling head-up by my ribs.
So after a long discussion with the doctor and Ryan and I weighing the options, we went ahead and scheduled a c-section. And basically picked our baby's birthday. It's crazy!
There is a part of me that is relieved. We know when he's coming (for the most part - he could always surprise us) and it makes it so much easier to "schedule" my family to be here for his birth.
On the other hand, I am apprehensive about having major surgery and the whole recovery process. That part of me wonders if any tricks or "exercises" I've read can really help the baby turn on his own so I can try for a vaginal delivery. I actually spent 20 minutes when I got home tonight trying one.
I'm praying for wisdom and direction in the next couple of weeks to understand God's plan for our baby's arrival. I know He knows what He's doing and that there is a reason for everything, so we'll see how things go for my next two appointments (which are now weekly) to see if He changes anything or if this is truly the plan.
As a side note, Nathan is truly his mama's boy and proved to be just as stubborn as in past appointments for this ultrasound - not only was he presenting breech, he was facing backward so we couldn't even get a shot of his face! The best the tech got was a foot. Silly boy!

How far along: 36 weeks


Size of baby: a crenshaw melon (no clue), about 18.5 in. and almost 6 lb.


Total weight gain/loss: +29 lbs (I hate having to admit this at this point) I will say, though, that I still have an "innie" but it's almost completely flat.


Maternity clothes: almost everything I wear at this point.

Gender: a boy!


Movement: Nathan's heartbeat was strong on the ultrasound this morning and he is definitely still moving around - just with less and less room. He also gets the hiccups quite a bit, which are such a bizarre feeling!


Sleep: I tried a new trick last night because my hips have been hurting so much while I sleep. I propped myself to almost sitting and used a neck pillow Ryan bought on a business trip recently so my head wouldn't roll around. It was actually quite comfy and I lasted a few hours before settling down and going back to side-sleeping. I'm also getting up about twice a night, which is more frequently than before but still not as bad as I ever thought this far along in the pregnancy.


What I miss: fitting in my shoes! My feet are so swollen, I am limited to just a couple pairs that don't hurt. Really missing that back-sleeping, too, now that my hips hurt so much at night.


Cravings: still sweets but also fresh fruit (something healthy!). I got pineapple, strawberries and watermelon over the weekend and have eaten almost all of it already for various meals and snacks. Yum!


Symptoms: swelling, heartburn, sciatica, waddling, increased clumsiness, the list goes on. Ah, how lovely pregnancy can be!


Best moment this week: not necessarily the best, but the most momentous - I got out of work early on Thursday for the long Easter weekend so I took advantage and went to the hospital to preregister. I am now all set to check in without having to fill out mounds of paperwork when baby comes! (Although, admittedly, it wasn't bad at all and actually was so easy so I am sure I could have handled it when the time came but I'm glad to have it over with.)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!! On the bright side you will not have to experience contractions and there is not a risk of going through labor just to end up with a c-section anyways. Get up and walk as soon as you can after. I didn't and it made it sooo much worse. Have plenty of dresses or really loose comfy pants to wear for at least 6 weeks. I couldn't do jeans for at least that long and every now and then if they are low rise and fitting snug they still hurt, so shop accordingly. Pump right away because your milk is slower to come in with a c/s and it will help speed it up. Dont plan many visitors for the day of or the day after because it is a harder recovery. Take your meds even if you dont feel that bad, because eventually it will catch up with you. And get excited!!!! You are going to meet your baby soon!!!

Kelly said...

I had already gained 25 pounds entering my third trimester so you're doing great! You look beautiful. Try not to stress about the baby's position. It is all in God's hands and He will take care of both of you! We love you so much!! oxxoox

Sjn said...

It's getting so close... I'd better pack my bag! I'll be there to help with your recovery so no worries. Love you!

The Gordons said...

Hey There!
Its, Shari (Kelly's Friend)! I have been keeping up with your posts and just read this and I know exactly what you are going through so I had to leave a note :-) Spencer was breech and I had to schedule as well. You will do great! It's so much safer for the baby when they don't turn to have the c-section. I know it was hard for me to grasp the fact that I could not try natural childbirth but in the end you will have a beautiful, healthy, baby :-)

I had a super quick recovery (i think everyone is different) and you will be back on your feet in no time! Thinking about you.